Monday, May 13, 2013

In the blink of an eye...

 
(photo credits: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Blue_candles_on_birthday_cake.jpg)

... I'm turning 28, in 1 hours' time.

How time flies - especially how after graduation, the world outside was menacing and unkind, throwing challenges at me when I was still trying my best to grasp hold of reality and adapt to a whole new world, outside of my very sheltered undergraduate life.

On hindsight (where vision is always 20/20), being an undergraduate was the best blessing where the only worries were about being able to score for the modules with midnight-oil burned essays and too many late nights with prata at Foong Seng and MacDonald's breakfasts.

It's been a long 5 years since 2008 - and things have turned out to be far better than I ever thought it would be.

I may not have had held onto a job for 5 years straight after graduation, but my little feats of exploring different industries (airline, government, banking and shipping) actually help me narrow my interests and passion into a handful. I have a problem; I am always too hyperactive and I cannot keep still. I always want to do a lot of things, but I only have 1 lifetime. Like what my good friend said before, "Belle, you need more than 7 lifetimes to do all you want to do". 

But having taken up different roles has really opened up my eyes. Of course, I'm not as rich or holding a senior position as I'd hope to be/do when I first graduated, but I have come to realise that life is more of a journey of self-realisation and self-actualisation than a series of signpost that I had always forced myself to achieve.

It has been a tiring 5 years journey where it kicked off with so many ups and downs, turmoils and tears... but now I am happy to say that I'm very contented with what Life has given to me.
 
 However, I do acknowledge that my path has been much smoother than many have experienced, and listening to their stories make me feel more human and more appreciative of the blessings I have, and how I'd do my best to be there for these friends.  

I've been very blessed with a small group of friends who love me, and have protected me, listened to me and encouraged me in such difficult times - and it is also not the quantity (ie. how many millions of friends one has, but really the ones that really count).

I've also been blessed with a partner who has been extremely sweet despite his new start up and prepared a surprise birthday party at a villa with a private pool, with a proposal in front of my closest friends.

I cannot ask for more :)

 
Before I turn 28 proper, this is a small note myself to count all my blessings that I have received, with the little resources I have, all only possible with my family, friends and partner. We are looking at receiving our flat around middle next year, I am looking forward to starting the wedding preparations with Dan, my online shop is kicking off together with a few other brainchilds where I can see light coming through...I have my family who always loves me for who I am no matter where I go wrong...

Happy birthday to me!

 
 

No comments: