Monday, September 22, 2008

The Break of the Dawn

Watched The Next Wave at UCC with my uni mates on Saturday
and there were several beautiful pieces of dance performances.

There was one that I particularly liked,
and it was called the Break of the Dawn.

I enjoyed every moment of it,
because it gave me lots of insights.

For many, the break of the dawn means having to deal with the same old routine of work, school and mundane activities.
Yet, the dawn for some people may be an awakening,
the beginning of something really beautiful.
I particularly like dawn, because it symbolizes a brand new day,
everything from yesterday is now transformed into a new beginning.
The raw energy from the arising sun, gives me strength, i believe.

This particular piece, coupled with the awesome mise-en-scene, really caught my attention and I was trying to figure out my own perspective of life throughout the entire performance.

The beauty of dance is such that few words are spoken,
unlike in a play performance,
and every body language -
every turn, every pirouette, every graceful move of the hands,
represent a certain emotion.
And that is why I think that dance performances are much harder to decipher, to understand...
As an audience, one has to focus and let the music take you away and imagine what the choreographer has in mind.
Most importantly, it is to let yourself go, feel the music, hear the passion and flow wherever the piece takes you to.

The beauty of performances is that -
everything can be read from different perspectives.

Just like life where
Everything is subjective...

No comments: