Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mightier is the pen than the sword

With a generous stroke of luck, I just landed myself in a job as an editor.

One of my numerous dream job is to be an editor, amongst many others, like being a fashion designer, a script writer, a film maker, a director, a marketer, an events manager and even running my cafe and tour guides.

I must admit that I've been pretty apprehensive about this -
I'm considerably new to the industry and I still need to hone my customer service skills.

While I may not have the relevant background experience in the publishing industry and am filled with trepidation and anxiety about not being able to do well in the job, I am increasingly excited as days pass into the job because I learn more and more cool aspects about this job.

I viewed the pre-press and press processes and I am never going to look at books or journals the same way again.

A huge load of tedious labour (both manual and automatic) go into the innocent looking book one holds.
From the manuscript which passes through the hands of the editor and editorial assistants many times, to the carefully alligned papers prepared by the type setters, the blue prints where the officers have to breathe in all kinds of chemicals (including ammonia) to the binded copy we hated to read in our university days.

That's a process of almost 9-10 months, almost as good as being pregnant with a foetus.
And I guess all publications are babies to the editors, who see through the job from its conception to the production.
Holding your final copy of the ready-to-publish book is almost like carrying your newborn.
I used "almost" because I don't know how it feels like yet.

As days pass and I slowly learn the technicalities of the job, it really psyches me up to think that I'll have my very first assignment soon.
Imagine having to comb through drafts and of course helping to decide about the book cover design to the thickness of the papers...
Sends tingling through my toes.

=) While it may not be the fashion or lifestyle industry I am hoping to be an editor for in the future, it's a baby step still, isn't it?

Wish me luck! (and lots of wisdom) =)

Scribbling away,
Izzy

No comments: