Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day

And it is the time of the year where couples show their affection/love/wealth in a display...
However, this year it feels a little downplayed and cold...
Could be due to the recession...
Or maybe I'm getting too old for all this hype.

I remembered I penned an entry on Valentine's Day a year ago...
On how I think V Day is a horror day for men (and women, sometimes)
And it continues to amuse me, how our perspectives change within a span of the year.

To be clear, I was grousing about how men should make an effort for Valentine's Day (no matter how commercialized it was..)
This year, I took a step back and thought it through.

I still think efforts matter, no doubt. Even more than ever.

But I think it's also who you spend it with, that determine the importance of marking this date and making an effort.

A tiring day from work on a Saturday, coupled with a shot of indecision and two pints of market woes... is quickly made better with someone who makes an effort to listen, be there, present sincere displays of patience and understanding, seeks to understand your preferred food/flowers/art, is sensitive to your feelings and apologizes for lapses (i can't believe im using a work jargon...) and importantly, despite being absolutely tired.

That being said, I guess effort really really does count, despite in gloomy times.

Happy times don't last forever, but effort made is seen and recognized and appreciated very much.

My friends, Happy Valentine's Day.
I hope that all of you are spending quality time with your loved ones (family, friends, partners).
=)


And I still stand by this theory:


And maybe next year my entry will be a shift in perspective again. =)

No comments: