Wednesday, January 09, 2008

In the mood for travelling

Been contemplating if I should embark on a graduation trip to Europe. With obvious obstacles such as the lack of money, it's been bugging me quite a lot. I guess I just have to save up and decide after that. Undeniably, it is good to have a motivation to look forward to. May, the month of wonderful possibilities: graduation with a second upper, travelling in europe, a challenging job and my birthday.

My 23rd birthday. Well, not very enthusiastic to look forward to because I am growing too old, way too fast. I was just complaining to Loon the other day that when I was seventeen, I always wanted to be twenty. And once you are twenty, time flies and there's no end to that. You just keep growing very old. 20, 21, 22, 23... and it just goes on. It gets depressing sometimes. 23. I can't believe I've stayed so long on this earth. And sometimes, I really wonder what I have truly achieved. Not in terms of solid achievements, but personal ones.

When I was 21, I told myself that I must accomplish certain stuff in the entire year I turned 21. And I guess I did. I got my driving license, after 3 attempts no less (!!), dug out my guts to apply for exchange in Europe, took up Jazz Dance and Guitar classes.

After 21, I feel empty somehow. I have no idea why. It is funny how you meet your secondary friends and you exclaim that you have known the person for a good whole 10 years. And then you count. And you realise, yes, indeed, you are THAT old.

Back to travelling in Europe. These are the places I truly want to visit, before I die, or possibly for my Graduation trip. Someone give me strength to conquer all my tuition assignments and save incessantly.

1. Northern Lights (Scandinavian countries)



What can I say? Transcient, breath taking, gorgeous. I remembered reading that they can be found once a year, in places like Sweden and Iceland. I would totally love to stand underneath those azure skies, soak in the beauty and remember it for the rest of my life.

2. Eiffel Tower (Paris, France)



This stunning tower amazes me always. Even though I have stood underneath this gigantic monument both in the day and night, I will never cease wanting to visit this French national monument. In the night, it aptly appropriates the title "City of Lights" to Paris. A perfect spot for lovers, yet an individual will never feel lonely in the midst of these shimmering stars. The queue to go up to the highest point can be a bit frustrating and expensive, but I would highly recommend it.




You can always get a kick out of finding Singapore in the viewing tower and knowing that you are really, really far away =)

3. Neuswanstein Castle (Munich, Germany)



Too beautiful that it looks almost unreal. A real castle once habited by King Ludwig, the view of the Disney castle from Marion bridge is awesome. Not for those afraid of heights as you are suspended high above the ground and you can see the sea below. But worth the challenge. I know because I was trying not to cringe as I shot the above picture. The inner decorations of the castle is a disappointment as opposed to the outer façade but it is a must visit! Especially beautiful when travelling in the winter as the mountains are snow-capped and it looks all too ravishing. However, be careful of the shoes you wear. I know because me and Loon almost slipped to our deaths as the paths were icy and slippery and we almost disappeared from the face of the earth.

4. Berlin Wall (Berlin, Germany)


My fascination with European history demanded me to visit the remnants of the wall. There were actually different locations of the Berlin wall, cutting across East and West Berlin. This array is the artists' constructions on the wall - one can often spot cries for peace on this whole stretch of wall. It is so beautiful that you can just stand there in utter amazement.


This is a very interesting slab of wall where you can see many many people writing on their birth years. Finding whatever pen we had, of course we left our marks.

The other sections of the wall is rather old and destroyed, and I guess it is a more vivid and true depiction of how the Wall separated the Germans in the Cold War. A must visit. I would also recommend the Free Walking Tour in Berlin which I went for two times. They meet at the Starbucks in the morning, near the Brandenburg Gate. Very informational. A historical tour that you experience with your eyes. A must go for history buffs.


5. The Colosseum (Rome, Italy)

Colosseum by day



Colosseum by night

All roads lead to Rome. I guess that is true. A trip to Europe must encompass a visit to this beautiful monument. I would recommend a visit to this place in the night as the lights which light up this gargantuan landmark are truly magnificent. A pity we did not manage to enter this place as it was midnight by the time we reached there. A must-go for us again!

6. Venice, Italy

Who can forget this beautiful place after just a mere visit? Not me. The canals are quite an awesome sight, and a boat ride through the Grand Canals is very delightful. The views are simply indescribable. Caution about the gondola rides though - they may seem romantic but they can hurt quite a lot in the pocket. I remember the prices range about 60 Euros. I skipped it because I prefer the good old boat rides. Oh well, you can pretend you are on the gondola while on the boat travelling through the Grand Canals. =)







According to what we read, they are building a fourth bridge for Venice. The bridges are individually beautiful and unique. I remember that I was busy taking pictures in the cold.


The splendid Venetian costumes. For keepsakes, I purchased a small little Venetian mask. And their Murano glass ornaments are simply cute!



I have a weakness for these jewellery, especially those which are very unique. I had to be dragged away by Loon before I spend my entire fortune in those shops. I bought a few goldfish ball ornaments which I do not bear to wear yet. However, beware of some shops which may be selling non-genuine Murano glass goods. It is common to see fake goods being peddled around, especially outside the branded stores such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton. The peddlars can be seen peddling their wares such as bags, belts and shades blatantly outside these shops. Quite an amusing sight.




St Mark's Square, Venice. Very romantic, and quaint. Excellent for an euro-centric person like me.

7. Athens, Greece


One of the world's oldest cities - how to resist? I have not been there personally, but I would sure love to experience one of the oldest remnants of civilisations.

The Olympics Stadium in Athens.

8. St Charles Bridge (Prague, Czech Republic)

Misty and mysterious. You almost cannot believe your sights. This bridge is my favourite. By the side, artists display their work and it is very tempting to stop by every stall.


This is no exaggeration of how the sights look like. It is that charming. An eastern europe tourist spot, St Charles Bridge has the perfect mise-en-scene for great photographs and makes you never want to leave.


After writing all these, it makes me realise that I have visited some of these places and want to go there again. A very boring person maybe, but it speaks a lot about the captivating sights they behold. =)

No comments: